What Are the Benefits of L-Carnitine Supplements?
When choosing a pre workout supplement, you want the best option possible – one that offers numerous benefits to take you to the next level.
Without key pre workout ingredients, dosed optimally, you won’t experience any benefits at all. For this reason, we’ve only included scientifically proven nutrients in 4 Gauge.
Great benefits of our pre workout include reduced fatigue, muscle damage, and increased energy. But which ingredient helps provide these advantages?
In this article, you’ll find out:
- What is Acetyl-L-Carnitine?
- What Are The Benefits?
- How Does It Work?
- The Science Behind It
What Is Acetyl-L-Carnitine?
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR) is the most beneficial form of L-Carnitine. It’s a natural amino acid that’s found in high amounts in avocados, as well as other food sources.
Why is it the best form of L-Carnitine?
Simply put, Acetyl-L-Carnitine is able to pass the blood-brain barrier more efficiently due to being bonded to the acetyl group. For this reason it’s more effective than other forms of L-Carnitine.
Here’s some natural sources of ALCAR:
- Green Vegetable
As it’s found organically in these foods, it’s ideal for 4 Gauge – which only contains 100% natural ingredients, without any artificial flavors, sweeteners, or synthetic ingredients.
Read on to find out about Acetyl-L-Carnitine’s benefits.
What Are The Benefits?
ALCAR is one of the most beneficial nutrients available in a pre workout supplement. Why?
Answer: It offers key benefits which will improve your workout and help you to the next level.
Ultimately, this nutrient will help you recover from intense gym sessions quicker – so you can make more progress on your goals.
Here’s the benefits of taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine:
- Reduced Fatigue – Be more motivated to get back in the gym and make progress on your fitness goals.
- Promotes Fat Loss – Stay lean while adding muscle mass, or get shredded abs faster than before.
- Decreased Muscle Damage – Feel less sore after a workout, so you can smash the gym again sooner.
- Increased Focus – Make the most of every rep, with stronger mind-muscle-connection.
How Does It Work?
ALCAR doesn’t simply deliver it’s benefits by chance; there are a series of procedures in your body that results in each advantage to your workout.
We’ll explain the processes that lead to you experiencing Acetyl-L-Carnitine’s benefits below:
How does it reduce fatigue?
One of Acetyl-L-Carnitine’s main functions in your body, is to deliver fatty acids to the mitochondria. The mitochondria is responsible for energy production – therefore you experience elevated energy levels and feel less tired with higher amounts of this nutrient in your system.
This process also increases your metabolic rate, meaning ALCAR also promotes fat loss too.
How does it decrease muscle damage?
By taking an optimal amount of Acetyl-L-Carnitine, you experience a reduction in the amount of lactic acid produced during intense workouts.
Simply put, a build-up of lactic acid is the reason you feel sore after a gym session – so preventing this build up decreases muscle damage and keeps you feeling fresh for your next workout.
How does it increase focus?
ALCAR is able to improve the cellular health of your brain.
Basically, having healthy neurotransmitters leads to your brain running more efficiently – resulting in elevated cognitive function, allowing you to concentrate on your goals better.
The Science Behind It
4 Gauge is an extensively researched pre workout supplement, and we wouldn’t have added Acetyl-L-Carnitine without any solid evidence that it works.
For this reason, we’ll share the studies that prove ALCAR is effective below:
A 2011 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition  aimed to find whether Acetyl-L-Carnitine has any effect on fatigue. To do this, they analyzed a total of 121 participants that suffered from high fatigue levels.
Over a 90-day period, the subjects were split into groups, being given either dosages of ALCAR or a placebo, twice per day. They were then closely examined throughout the duration of the study.
Ultimately, the group that were given dosages of this nutrient showed significantly better improvements on the fatigue severity scale.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine significantly decreased fatigue – The participants that consumed dosages of this nutrient showed serious improvements.
Decreased Muscle Damage
A study by Musafa Sait Gönen et al  set out to find whether ALCAR had any effect on lactic acid and muscle damage. They analyzed the plasma lactic acid levels of 10 participants for 7 days, and provided dosages of L-Carnitine throughout.
The study found that there was a direct link between Acetyl-L-Carnitine and lactic acid levels; this nutrient was able to drastically reduce lactic acid in the subjects involved – therefore reducing muscle damage.
- ALCAR significantly reduced muscle damage – The plasma lactic acid levels in the participants had drastically been reduced after therapy with this nutrient.
Promotes Fat Loss
A clinical study conducted by Pistone and his colleagues  examined the relationship between ALCAR and fat loss. They recruited 84 patients, and their lipid profiles were examined for a total of 30 days.
During this period, they were given dosages of L-Carnitine – with the effects on their fat and muscle mass being recorded.
By the end of the 30 days, the participants saw a reduction in total fat mass, while experiencing an increase in muscle mass.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine reduced total fat mass, while increasing muscle mass – The subjects managed to lose fat and add muscle mass while being given dosages of ALCAR for 30 days.
Malaguarnera led a team of researchers in a 2008 study  to whether Acetyl-L-Carnitine improved cognition. To do this, they investigated the nutrient’s effect on 96 participants.
Ultimately, the study found that ALCAR was able to boost the cognition of the participants, and reduce both mental and physical fatigue.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine improved cognition and reduced fatigue – The participants performed better when taking dosages of ALCAR.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine is a perfect addition to a pre workout supplement and has numerous benefits;
- Reduced Fatigue
- Promotes Fat Loss
- Decreased Muscle Damage
- Increased Focus
For this reason, we’ve included an optimal 500 mg dosage of ALCAR in 4 Gauge – to ensure that you experience its full range of benefits, and reach your fitness goals.
It’s a 100% natural ingredient, found in high amounts in such foods as avocados, beef, chicken, and green vegetables. Acetyl-L-Carnitine is a safe and reliable nutrient, that causes no side effects in the 500mg dosage contained in 4 Gauge.
- Michele, M. Oral acetyl-L-carnitine therapy reduces fatigue in overt hepatic encephalopathy: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Am J Clin Nutr; 2011 vol. 93 no. 4: 799-808
- Musafa, S. G. The Effect of L-Carnitine Treatment on Lactic Acid Levels in Normal Subjects and Patients with IGT. Turkish Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism; 2005 1: 13-16
- Pistone, G. Levocarnitine administration in elderly subjects with rapid muscle fatigue: effect on body composition, lipid profile and fatigue. Drugs Aging. 2003; 20(10): 761-7
- Malaguarnera, M. Acetyl L-carnitine (ALC) treatment in elderly patients with fatigue. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2008 ;46(2):181-90. Epub 2007 Jul 20.