Best Pre Workout for Women
When it comes to best pre workout for women it’s all about getting the right ingredients.
For most people, workout quality can be hampered by a lack of motivation, a loss of focus or just plain old fatigue – regardless of whether you’re a guy or a gal.
Over the last few years we’ve witnessed a new gym revolution. We’re now seeing more women than ever take up the iron, lace up their lifting shoes and chalk up their hands.
So if you think pre workout is just for men then you’re sorely mistaken.
In this article we take a look at everything you need to know about best pre workout for women.
What Is a Pre Workout?
As the name suggests, pre workout is a supplement taken before a training session.
It’s a natural, nutrient-filled sports product designed to enhance athletic performance, increase physiological output and improve focus and motivation.
High-quality pre workouts are made up of specially-selected vitamins and minerals that attack your body from a variety of angles. Not only do they boost physical ability, they optimize your mindset too.
Here’s what your pre workout gives you:
- Stimulates your nervous system to increase energy
- Boosts mental clarity, focus and drive
- Elevates blood flow, sending nutrients to where you need the most.
- Increases endurance, stamina, strength and power
Is a pre workout only for men?
No, of course not.
The only people that won’t benefit from these type of supplements are those that don’t gym the gym their all.
If you don’t grit your teeth, roll up your sleeves and throw everything into your workouts then you probably don’t deserve a pre workout in he first place.
Both men and women can benefit from the supercharged fuel injection that a good pre workout offers.
We all need that extra kick before a heavy workout.
Whether you’re training to look good, prep for a bikini or physique show, improve your sports performance or simply want to optimize your health, peak performance is key.
And that’s where these results-boosting supplements come in.
What to Look for in the Best Pre Workout for Women
The supplement industry is worth billions.
When it comes to products like pre workout there are hundreds of different options, choices and labels to choose from.
The unfortunate thing is that while some are well-dosed and contain an essential mix of effective ingredients, others do not.
Now here’s the thing.
The very best pre workout supplements are formulated with women in mind. They focus on enhancing performance, but aren’t too aggressive.
To find the best one for you, you really need to do your research.
Get the right pre workout and you’ll be transformed into the She-Hulk in the weights room. Get the wrong product though and you’ll feel flat, weak and lethargic.
It’s all about the ingredients.
Moderate caffeine dose improves performance in women
A study published in the journal Amino Acids  found that when a group of female soccer players were given modest caffeine-based, stimulant pre workout, their physical performance improved significantly.
And there were no side effects either.
The women were given a moderate caffeine dose of 3 mg per kilogram of body weight. For a 135 lb female that’s around 180 mg (the equivalent of around 1.5-2 cups of coffee).
Is too much caffeine bad?
When it comes to pre workout, more isn’t better – particularly for women.
Some of the more aggressive pre workouts you’ll find on the market are dosed up to the eyeballs with caffeine. They prise so much in to hide the fact that the other ingredients are under-dosed.
Some manufacturers add as much as 360 mg into one scoop of their pre workout. Avoid these at all costs.
Best pre workout for women: caffeine
- Caffeine boosts exercise performance in women
- Aim for 150 – 200 mg prior to your workout
Citrulline malate improves maximal strength in female athletes
Citrulline malate is an amino acid found in foods such as watermelon.
It is added to pre workouts supplements because it boosts blood flow and nutrient delivery.
One study from the European Journal of Sports Science  recruited 17 female tennis players and asked them to a pre workout containing citrulline malate 1 hour prior to a strength test.
The tests were made up of maximal intensity cycling, vertical jump and grip strength.
Supplementing citrulline malate led to a significant improvement in peak power, maximal strength and also the ability to sustain high intensity power too.
This is a must-have nutrient for your pre workout.
Best pre workout for women: citrulline malate
- Citrulline malate boosts female strength and power.
- Aim for a dose of 6 g (6,000 mg) for optimal effects
Many pre workout supplements contain artificial sweeteners.
And while there’s not much evidence to suggest that these lab-made compounds are bad for you in the long term, they can cause stomach upset, headaches and nausea .
The FDA also suggest that regular consumption of artificial sweeteners can lead to migraines, sleep problems and memory loss.
Many pre workouts containing artificial sweeteners are so strong-tasting and sweet that they are near impossible to consume.
Aiming for natural sweeteners is always a good thing. It supports your overall health and ensures you’re getting the very best nutritional support.
Best pre workout for women: natural sweeteners
- Artificial sweeteners can cause headaches, stomach upset and sleep issues in women.
L-theanine improves focus and motivation
L-theanine works together with caffeine to boost cognitive abilities such as focus, mood and attention.
The problem with caffeine is that much of its stimulatory effects can go to waste. Even with recommended doses of 150-200 mg you can often feel jittery and find it difficult to concentrate.
L-theanine helps to direct energy to where it’s needed most. It also helps you avoid the post-workout energy crash too.
That’s why the combination of caffeine and L-theanine is often referred to as ‘smart caffeine‘.
If caffeine is the pre workout bullet, L-theanine is the scope. It helps you aim, target and shoot your caffeine to all the right places.
One study  found that when a group of women added 100 mg of L-theanine to their caffeine pre workout, cognitive ability during demanding tasks improved significantly.
Additionally, L-theanine has been seen to boost mood in females suffering from symptoms of depression.
In one study , 250 mg of the amino acid helped to improve a range of functions, including:
- Reduced anxiety
- Lower incidence of depression
- Decreased sleep disturbance
- Improved cognitive ability
Best pre workout for women: L-theanine
- L-theanine helps to boost cognitive ability and enhance the effects of caffeine
- Aim for a dose of 150-200 mg to optimize results
- 2:1 ratio between L-theanine and caffeine works best
Summary – Best Pre Workout for Women
When it comes to a great training session, pre workout supplements are key – regardless of whether you’re a man or a woman.
It all comes down to the right ingredients. If they’re under-dosed you’ll be left wanting, but take the dosage too high and your product can be potentially unsafe.
Focusing your attention on nutrients such as caffeine, L-theanine and citrulline malate will help you find the exact product you’re looking for.
Choose 4 Gauge to Support Your Workout Goals
4 Gauge contains only natural nutrients, specifically designed to support your physical performance and cognitive abilities.
- Caffeine – 150 mg
- Citrulline malate – 6,000 mg
- L-theanine – 200 mg
- Plus it uses only natural sweeteners. No artificial ingredients in sight.
Perfectly dosed for women, this powerful pre workout is carefully formulated to give you all of the benefits you need, without any of the side effects.
When it comes to best workout for women, 4 Gauge is your only option.
4 Gauge is an exhaustively researched, all-natural pre workout designed to rip the lid off your gym sessions, sports games or workouts.
Packed with performance-enhancing nutrients such as caffeine, L-theanine and creatine, 4 Gauge will take your training to a completely new level.
- Smash your workouts – feel your nervous system firing on all cylinders
- Cell-splitting muscle pumps – harness the power of vasodilation and deliver more nutrients to your muscle cells
- Determination like never before – feel unparalleled focus and motivation
- Relentless energy – train for longer without fatigue
- Lara, B et al. Caffeine-containing energy drink improves physical performance in female soccer players. Amino Acids. 2014; 46(5): 1385-92
- Glenn, JM et al. Acute citrulline-malate supplementation improves maximal strength and anaerobic power in female, masters athletes tennis players. Eur J Sport Sci. 2016; 16(8): 1095-103
- Whitehouse, CR et al. The Potential Toxicity of Artificial Sweeteners. SAGE Journals. 2008
- Owen, GN et al. The combined effects of L-theanine and caffeine on cognitive performance and mood. Nutr Neurosci. 2008; 11(4): 193-8
- Hidese, S et al. Effects of chronic l-theanine administration in patients with major depressive disorder: an open-label study. Acta Neuropsychiatr. 2017; 29(2): 72-79